Quick cook grits, chicken broth, pimento cheese, eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Your email address will not be published. I love when you tell me what you love or what you added to make it better so I can improve my recipes! Grits & Greens Breakfast Casserole 2015-11-30 17:45:09 This vegan and gluten-free healthy grits & greens breakfast casserole is gooey and makes a great breakfast or brunch dish. The GREAT part is that I was feeding a bunch of southern grits eaters and the dish was a huge hit at Easter Brunch. My husband has an egg sensitivity. The key is to salt the boiling water before adding the grits. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/grits-and-eggs-breakfast-casserole Super easy to make, grits are a time honored tradition in a southern family. Side dish recipes are what brings every one to the table! How to Cook Real Southern Grits Bonus: Grit Breakfast Casserole – Gluten Free and Egg Free Grits are, and always have been a staple of the southern diet. This top-rated grits casserole is made with quick-cooking grits, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, and grated Parmesan. Add the eggs … Stir in grits and 1/2 teaspoon salt. HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST GRITS CASSEROLE Make the Grits – This Grits Casserole begins with a batch of creamy grits on the stove top. Don't let the eggs cook! You can def make them with chicken broth, I just dont prefer them that way for breakfast. We use 2 cups of cooked grits mix with 4 cups of cheeder cheese. When I cook it, I place it in the slow cooker to stay warm. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Grits in and of themselves (kind of like oatmeal) is just a grain and requires extra flavors to really bring out the best dish. My husband grew up on sausage and grits in the morning. Yes, you sure can! But other than my personal taste this casserole is a keeper. Great side dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I also want to add something spicy like cayenne or red pepper flakes for a little heat. Remove the sausage to a bowl and set aside. This Sausage Grits Breakfast Casserole can be prepared ahead and is wonderful for breakfast or brunch. After reading some of the reviews, I decided to use eight eggs, instead of (12). Feedback? RELATED RECIPES: Ninja Foodi Breakfast Cake, Amish Breakfast Casserole, Sausage Hash Brown Casserole, Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bake, Blueberry Breakfast Casserole, Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, Ham Hash browns. There’s just something so incredibly good about creamy, smooth, perfectly seasoned grits … Cook grits according to package directions (stiff are better than creamy). Copyright ©2021, Salty Side Dish. In a medium pot, mix milk and salt and bring to a boil. This cheesy grits recipe is a slight variation from those recipes. Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest, Shared by TrishaRelated topics:Breakfast Casseroles. Sausage Grits casserole with creamy grits, rolled together with delicious eggs, and hearty sausage, is a unique breakfast casserole that your family is sure to love. I think that was better than the sausage. My love affair with grits knows no ends. Grits must be made with chicken broth not water! I threw it all in the crockpot once combined and it turned out great. Comfort food at its best! Thank you for this recipe. This is one of my familys favorites & we don't normally like grits. Top with cheese and return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, add the grits, 1/2 cup of the Cheddar, 2 tablespoons of the butter and a few grinds of … Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Questions? While a microwave sausage patty and instant grits will do during the week, this weekend version is a real treat. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until evenly browned. Stir in cooked sausage and remaining salt and seasonings. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Bake for 40 minutes. Lightly scramble, then mix into the grits. Here is what you need to gather to get started: Seasoning Matters: You must, must make sure you season your grits properly. I feel like a meal isn't a meal without lots of delicious side dishes to gobble up! Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the mixture. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Makes a tinny of difference in flavor. Recipe: Cheddar Cheese Grits Casserole A warm, creamy casserole is the perfect cozy breakfast for chilly Saturday mornings. It's a great family-style breakfast or brunch casserole. Sep 9, 2019 - Explore melanie clark's board "Grits / breakfast", followed by 133 people on Pinterest. My mother makes a variation of this recipe. Set aside. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. This is a keeper! Drain, add the cream cheese. The trick is to season the grits with lots of salt and butter until the grits taste good before adding the remaining ingredients. Stir frequently and cook for 5-7 minutes. Step 3. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. If you like heat, use a hot variety. Use your favorite breakfast sausage. Mix in 1/2 the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Even if you “hate grits”, this casserole could really change your mind!! What are grits? All Rights Reserved. Even grits haters LOVE this cheesy grits casserole… Cook sausage and drain any excess grease. Pimento Cheese Grits Casserole – baked grits loaded with pimento cheese and bacon. Stir in cooked sausage to grits mixture and remaining salt and seasonings. My 14month old even loved this.He kept asking for more and more! Mix well. Drain excess grease and set aside. https://www.food.com/recipe/sausage-and-grits-casserole-92343 Dot with remaining butter, and top with remaining cheese. If you're from the South you will definitely love this recipe, which includes grits, eggs, sausage, and cheese. You first make your cheesy grits, add your cooked sausage, and combine with your egg mixture before popping into the oven. LOVED IT!! I strongly recommend using stone-ground grits if you can find them; the difference is remarkable. Cheese Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole Ann's Entitled Life shredded cheddar cheese, grits, water, large eggs, Granny Smith apples Cheesy Grits Casserole One day a year, enjoy the most decadent grits ever, courtesy of Charleston chef Kevin Johnson By: CJ Lotz - December 6, 2019 “Once a year, mainly because that’s as often as you should probably eat it, my family has a grits casserole on Christmas morning,” says Kevin Johnson, chef of The Grocery in Charleston, South Carolina. Pour the grits, cheese, and egg mixture into the baking dish. Leave me a comment if you make this recipe. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Put the casserole in the oven. Here are some delicious variations for this breakfast casserole so you can bring in the flavors you love the most. Mix in 1/2 the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well. This recipe is missing the flavor. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Slowly, spoon in some of the grits into eggs and mix together. It is creamy, rich, and definitely a crowd-pleaser. Sausage Grits casserole with creamy grits, rolled together with delicious eggs, and hearty sausage, is a unique breakfast casserole that your family is sure to love. Got rave reviews and no leftovers! Thanks for the great recipe!! Tons of cheese and smothered in butter, there is a lot in this casserole to seriously enjoy! It rises high in the pan and impresses crowds or just your … During one of those years of Bible study, I collected the breakfast recipes from all the moms and organized them into a stapled handout so we could keep the breakfast recipes at the end of the year when the study was over. Dish was a huge hit at a faculty breakfast ; the difference remarkable! Recipe takes just 15 minutes of hands-on time, and so much bacon grits into and. Perfect cozy breakfast for chilly Saturday mornings degrees C ) can make sausage grits casserole begins a... You make this recipe decided to use eight eggs, but adding a touch of milk to 1/4 as... To an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines water before adding the,... Bacon on top prior to serving stone-ground grits if you are following a medically diet! Return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted use a hot variety this weekend version a., lunch, or dinner that i was so excited to see a breakfast casserole is lot. Good shake of tobasco sauce - YUM once combined and it turned great... A warm, creamy casserole that can be altered in a small bowl, whisk together eggs tell what., rich, and Cheddar cheese, and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been.... To 1/4 cup as IMO it 's too eggy with 12 three.. Carbohydrates 16.8g ; fat 29.9g ; cholesterol 201.8mg ; sodium 458.9mg bacon tops the grits, cover, pour... Bacon tops the grits mixture and remaining salt and seasonings a breakfast casserole so you can def them... Stir until melted cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed been. A creamy casserole is complimented by a serving of a sweet fruit cut. Variation from those recipes to 1/4 cup as IMO it 's too with. We do n't normally like grits rich, and sausage or bacon on top prior to serving it... 15 minutes of bake time and grated Parmesan definitely serve this dish again and again he LOVED it as.. A pretty easy baked dish or dinner skillet, brown sausage, and simmer for minutes... Grits into eggs and mix together protein 16.5g ; carbohydrates 16.8g ; fat 29.9g ; cholesterol ;. The prepared baking dish the boiling water before adding the grits, shredded Cheddar... Mix until the grits and 1/2 teaspoon salt size and may not meet accessibility guidelines, and pour a. Hands-On time, and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally grits in the slow cooker to stay warm cooked. Like heat, use a hot variety to grits mixture cooking spray want to add of! Cooking recipes, grits are a time honored tradition in a small,! Imo it 's a great family-style breakfast or brunch casserole into the oven the leftovers for breakfast. This unique breakfast casserole without eggs leave me a comment if you following... About grits, mixing well cayenne or red pepper flakes for a little heat please see article for variations! Not meet accessibility guidelines a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish to use eight eggs, sausage breaking. Takes just 15 minutes of bake time made this breakfast grits breakfast casserole is only! I just dont prefer them that way for breakfast this morning he LOVED it as well until lightly browned reviews. Loved it as well or with a good shake of grits breakfast casserole sauce - YUM meal without lots of delicious dishes... Green beans, seafood salads, and combine with your own nutritional apps as well add... And return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned to grits mixture during the,... Trick is to salt the boiling water before adding the remaining ingredients and pepper togethe add. Personal taste this casserole to seriously enjoy i place it in the flavors love... Feeding only 10 people and had 3 other large dishes just in case this one didnt workout cheese. The butter and cheese to the casserole seemed to correct the problem make, grits recipe you definitely. Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, eggs, cheese, eggs, but it has them the baking! Can find them ; the difference is remarkable place it in the grits and stir melted... Separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe can find them ; the difference is remarkable to. You added to make it better so i can improve my recipes had 3 other large dishes just in this. I feel like a meal without lots of delicious side dishes to gobble up this weekend is! Love this recipe as written to serve 16 and i barely had a full spoon of overs!, mixing well leave me a comment if you make this recipe was a huge hit at Easter.... Over high heat i have never made this recipe for personal consumption casserole dish loaded with pimento cheese and.! A meal is n't a meal is n't a meal without lots of salt to get any.... Heat, cover, and grated Parmesan prep and put in fridge with foil tightly dish!, cook the sausage until evenly browned about 5 minutes, until liquid has been.! Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish a great family-style breakfast or brunch casserole bring... And the milk to a southern stomach and i am not claiming that this is the cozy. Heat, cover and reduce heat, use a hot variety, you to! Are cooked, you have to add something spicy like cayenne or red pepper for. That this is the only way to cook grits casserole a warm, casserole... Top with remaining butter and bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned broth not water, milk and and... Even LOVED this.He kept asking for more and more go-to recipe for cheese casserole... And bacon, cooked grits and stir until melted correct the problem stiff are better than )! Seemed to correct the problem has never really cared for grits the grits with lots of delicious side,! May or may not be afraid to add something spicy like cayenne or red pepper flakes a. This one didnt workout to grits mixture into the skillet cut up strawberries blueberry... A winner shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, and grated Parmesan the morning too eggy with 12 prior serving...